Cafe Witness

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I Wasn't There, But...

I was talking to Angelo Ciotti recently, a former instructor at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh who has since retired to focus on his worldwide art projects. We were discussing the differences between Europe in the '60s and '70s and Europe today, and how homogenized things have become around the world compared to the individuality that was once displayed. Then he hit upon an anecdote that, although it has nothing to do with the converstaion at large (or does it?), is endearing nonetheless.

"When I was a student in Rome," he says, "I used to visit the same cafe every day. And every day, at 3 o'clock, Federico Fellini would come in for a drink.

"Years later, after my wife and I were married, we went to Rome and I took her to that same cafe and I said, 'This is where Fellini used to come every day.'"

"And sure enough, damned if he didn't walk in at 3 o'clock that afternoon."

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for the link to Angelo Ciotti's site. I'm an "88 grad from AIP and had Ciotti for a few classes. In art history the tangents that he would go off into were incredible. Thanks again.

    By Blogger TR, at 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home