Cafe Witness

Sunday, August 05, 2007

TwitterAir Meets Cambodia

When Michael Bailey decided to try a group donation experiment to buy me an air conditioner (thanks again, Mike, Jim, Amy and everyone else who contributed), he based that idea off a similar concept: Beth Kanter's Cambodia Blogging Summit, in which she was seeking $4,000 from her readers to help fund an event that will give Cambodian students, workers and media sources the training and encouragement necessary to join the global social media movement.

This morning, I noticed via Twitter that Beth needed another $57 to meet her $4,000 goal. So I chipped in $65 (unsure if PayPal would keep some or not -- it didn't), putting her over the top. Now the event can move forward as planned, and Michael Bailey and Beth Kanter can BOTH sleep easy, knowing that the power of interpersonal fundraising is alive and well in the social media community.

I know $65 isn't the same as a new air conditioner, but I think it might have an even bigger impact in the long run, don't you?

Next?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Hi Justin,

    Thank you so much! I'm linking to this post now! I also wanted to give your show a little link love and with the slight overage from my campaign, I purchased one of your show's t-shirts to take to Cambodia for a blogger.

    yes, you've made an impact!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:01 PM  

  • Hi Justin! Great to see a fellow Pittsburgher supporting the amazing Beth Kanter!!!!! Nice to meet you and I am glad you got an AC after all. Yes, it is hot here, so I am happy to be inside and tuning in to STBD!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home