Cafe Witness

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I Haz Bin BlawgTagged?

I was evidently blog-tagged by Dr. Mani regarding the online experience. Having not blogged recently, this is a good opportunity to revisit the keyboard...

Onward:

1. How long have you been blogging?

A: I've been blogging since 2004, when I began by dabbling with a MySpace blog.

2. What inspired you to start a blog and who are your mentors?

A: It was an experiment at first, like most things I do online.

As for mentors, I think that's a presumptuous question, which infers that everyone must blog for a reason and actively seeks to emulate the style of someone else. For example, I may read Chris Brogan's and Seth Godin's blogs on occasion, but we paddle in different boats these days.

3. Are You trying to make money online, or just doing it for fun?

A: I'm trying to make money, period. Paying my rent and eating every day are great accomplishments. If I happen to make that money online, so be it.

Right now, I look at social media as a still-emerging market, so putting all of my eggs in that basket would be ludicrous. Then again, so would putting zero eggs in that basket.

And, rationally speaking, putting eggs in baskets never seemed like a sensible storage solution in the first place...

4. Tell me 3 things you LOVE about being online.

A1: Meeting a variety of people I wouldn't meet otherwise

A2: Consuming large and varied amounts of information

A3: Near-instantaneous feedback on new ideas, breaking news, and other benefits of being plugged into the collective subconscious

5. Tell me 3 things you STRUGGLE with in the online world.

A1: The relevance, permanence and unstable momentum of online relationships (and the movements created therein)

A2: Information overload, resulting in an inability to focus for long periods of time / parse the truly important information from the trivial or temporary

A3: The massive amount of groupthink, errant "wisdom of crowds," and general mediocrity associated with being plugged into the collective subconscious

******

Must I tag others? Fair enough. I tag Julia Roy, Tim Siedell (Bad Banana) and Locobone. Feel free to swap out questions with more relevant ones, if you're so inclined.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Feeling the love. Now I feel all warm and gushy inside.

    By Blogger Julia Roy, at 3:38 PM  

  • Nice one, Justin. Thanks for playing... and you've given me 3 new links to explore.

    All success
    Dr.Mani

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:03 AM  

  • lol so nice of you to play.

    By Blogger Sam Freedom, at 7:35 AM  

  • I thought I felt a disturbance in the Force...

    If you don't mind, I think I'll respond right here.

    I've been blogging since March 3, 2007.

    Like you, I did so as an experiment. Mentors? About 3,500 bloggers in my RSS reader.

    Make money? Not directly. Okay, not at all. I consider it a way to grow personally and professionally. It's a creative challenge for me. I guess I expect that to help me with my career and clients long term.

    My Loves and Struggles with social media are the exact same as yours. That's one reason why I dig your blog and Twitter posts so much.

    Thanks for the tag!

    Tim

    twitter.com/badbanana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:12 PM  

  • Thanks for the post
    organic food toronto

    By Anonymous Osborne, at 12:15 PM  

  • wow great i have read many articles about this topic and everytime i learn something new i dont think it will ever stop always new info , Thanks for all of your hard work!

    By Anonymous Hcg weight loss, at 5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home