Cafe Witness

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Google + Jaiku = The Shrug Heard Round the Web

I just typed two separate posts about how Google's buying Jaiku may or may not impact the future of Twitter, but I kept rewriting them because I... I don't care.

Not in the slightest.

I'm on Twitter. If the conversation migrates to Jaiku, I may follow. Or I may not. There was life before Twitter, and MySpace, and AIM, and there will be life again after.

In the end, I really couldn't care less, and watching everyone race to proclaim the future, or cash in their chips on the Twitter deathwatch, reminds me why I have better things to do in the first place than to be ON a social network in the middle of the workday.

You guys go be the geniuses. I'm going to go do some work.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • I'm with you, Justin. I'll stick with Twitter for as long as all the interesting people are on it, and migrate accordingly if necessary. (I had a brief affair with Pownce, but no one else used it, so there went that.) For all the money and manpower Google has, it has a lot of mediocre products, and I don't jump for joy when I hear about yet another acquisition.

    By Blogger Marina Martin, at 12:54 PM  

  • Well Put!

    By Blogger Cliff J. Ravenscraft, at 3:48 PM  

  • I said this on Scoble's blog (funny, then the comments stopped - I take credit where I can...)

    "#13

    TV Killed The Radio Star -

    uhm, okay, and now back to reality.
    None of the events today, or the predictions of tomorrow are going to matter to my bottom line in any shape or form.

    Tomorrow will bring another shiny object, something which we can all rally around and invoke our emotions upon.

    Over time, life will grab a hold of us again and we’ll move on to discussions of things which really matter.

    At least, I certainly hope that happens."

    Comment by Michael Bailey — October 9, 2007 @ 1:17 pm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:50 PM  

  • I also couldn't agree with you more, Justin. Twitter for me is about the community that we have all built there. Twitter has given me endless hours of fun/diversion/promotion/information, and a LOT of new friends. They've earned my loyalty.

    And you're right, since when is Google acquiring a service necessarily a GOOD thing?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:16 PM  

  • Bravo!

    I'll remain on Twitter until something moves me to do otherwise. Jaiku's change of ownership is not that something.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:24 PM  

  • Totally agree.

    I'll stick with Twitter, thank you. If nobody else does, I'll eventually stop. But that probably means stopping altogether, not migrating somewhere else.

    http://twitter.com/badbanana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 PM  

  • What would Buddha do, LOL? Good one, Justin. PS, I don't follow you on T, but I am very much enjoying your blog.

    By Blogger Maria de los Angeles, at 6:31 PM  

  • Quite worthwhile information, thanks so much for the post.
    CHIANG MAI STEAKS

    By Anonymous Ira, at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home