Cafe Witness

Thursday, June 15, 2006

61C Faux Pas

A guy sitting beside me in the 61C Cafe just sneezed twice and, reflexively, I said "God bless you."

Then I remembered I'm in the Jewish section of town. I don't think they do that here.

Whoops.

Meanwhile, The Mayor is still answering questions about his skirts. I'm convinced that if I'm ever lonely over the age of 60 and am looking for a cheap excuse to drag conversation out of strangers, I'll start wearing socially unacceptable garments and drawing attention to them by saying things like, "Beautiful day today. And just a slight breeze."

3 Comments:

  • I'm not sure, but I think Jewish people still believe in God. It's not like you said 'Jesus Bless You' or anything.

    Call Jeremy Brok immediately and get the scoop.

    By Blogger Annie, at 6:58 PM  

  • Just as long as you didn't follow it up with cross, I think you'll be fine.

    By Blogger Paperback Writer, at 10:20 AM  

  • All good points.

    I still refer to Squirrel Hill as "The Jewish Section of Town" due primarily to the omnipresence of folks wearing the traditional garb, the synagogue, the frequency of Jewish films in the two theaters and the handful of Kosher restaurants and Jewish bookstore.

    Obviously not everyone here is Jewish, but the Jewish culture seems much more prevalent here than in other sections of Pittsburgh.

    Side note: anyone else find it ironic that I need to do the word verification thing in order to comment on my own blog?

    By Blogger Justin Kownacki, at 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home