Cafe Witness

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

NeighborhoodWalk: Greenfield (Rufus + Trash)

Today is the date for Neighborhood Walk, an idea that sprouted at PodCamp Pittsburgh 3 by the Rust Belt Bloggers group.

In a nutshell, city dwellers are encouraged to roam their own neighborhoods today and make note of anything interesting. What do people need to know about your neighborhood? What's good? What's bad? What resources, architecture or quirky highlights might the world (or at least Pittsburgh in general) benefit from knowing about?

Having just moved to Greenfield a few months ago, I'm still finding cool new houses all the time as I walk Rufus numerous times each day. But owning a dog has also made me hyper-aware of all the edibles people leave laying around on the sidewalks. So today Rufus and I decided to document our afternoon stroll.



Included in the above photostream: over a dozen candy and fast food wrappers, a shirt, a sock, the box that a child's school ruler came in, flattened packs of cigarettes, and a vandalized mail supply box (just for kicks), all in a 2 block radius. Also: Rufus managed to eat at least 3 sticks and half of a Wendy's wrapper during the taking of these photos.

See other Neighborhood Walks here.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Greenfield is a crazy neighborhood full of all kinds of nooks and crannies. Have you ever ventured into the run? Definitely an interesting area, and it just so happens that Connect Greenfield will be having a Meet Your Neighbors Night at Big Jim's in the run tonight from 7-8:30. 201 Saline St.

    If you plan on doing a neighborhood walk in Greenfield tonight, how about ending it by getting a beer with your neighbors!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 PM  

  • Nice dogs-eye view of the hood.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:19 PM  

  • That's one cool presentation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:34 PM  

  • I walked back to Presby from the first day (and after-party) of PCPGH3, and saw plenty of litter. Despite there being a municipal trash can/corral every couple blocks or so.

    Living in a mostly rural area myself, I see plenty (but not quite the sheer volume I saw in PGH) of roadside refuse, mostly consisting of fast-food wrappers and beer cans. I'm amazed you didn't find any beer cans on your walk, which just goes to show you that at least your alcoholics are environmentally conscious (or they want that recycling money to buy more beer).

    People should just keep the trash in a small bag in their car, then upon the next visit to ye olde drive thru, they dispose of it in the handy trash cans all the places have just past the last window. It is just not that hard to do.

    By Blogger SexCpotatoes, at 3:44 PM  

  • Brett: Sorry I can't make it out tonight, but that sounds like a cool meet-up opportunity. Let me know when yinz are doing one again down the line.

    Sexcpotatoes: I never consider Pittsburgh to be a trash-laden town, but when I bothered to take a camera with me, I'll admit I had no trouble finding enough to photograph... I blame the kids who walk to and from their schoolbuses. Four of the candy wrappers were on the lawn of the house in front of the bus stop. (Which begs the question: who's not cleaning up their yard?)

    By Blogger Justin Kownacki, at 6:47 PM  

  • This would have been more interesting had I not gone on three walks with you and Rufus today.

    By Blogger John Carman, at 11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home